Friday, January 30, 2009

My Name is Amore and I Can Never Eat Just 1 Cookie

Like my friend Love, I have some serious food addictions. I've mentioned before that Carter and I will have a dessert buffet for our reception. While this is certainly a cost-cutting measure, the real truth of the matter is, I couldn't bear to have only cake at the reception. I want it all. Key Lime Pie, Apple Pie, Banana Pudding, various cookies, brownies, cakes. YUM.

I was lucky in high school. I was super-petite, skinny even! I was maybe a size 4 when I gradated in 2004. My friends always told me they were jealous of my body. Then I went to college. Land of the buffet. Land of "all that really looks remotely edible on this line is the pizza and french fries. So I'll eat that and dip everything in ranch dressing." Land of "if there's one thing this cafeteria does right it's cookies. So today I'll eat 14 of them." College was also land of the "child-bearing hips" as Love mentioned earlier. I packed on the pounds in college. I'm not happy with the way that I look. I want my thin face and flat-ish belly back. I don't want to have to wear that corset-thingy when I put on THAT shirt.

So, as any good bride on the eve of the year of her wedding would do, I joined a gym. Operation Bridal Body began as I joined the YMCA of Metropolitan Knoxville. And I love it. I was a member at the Y for a short time at the end of high school, and then for one summer in college. I love the Y because the people there are real people. They are not all in perfect shape (though certainly some of them are!) The staff is friendly, and it's a welcoming environment. I started going to the Y thinking I'd do my own thing--a little cardio, some weight training on the machines...then I remembered why I'd never been able to stick to a workout regimine before.

I hate it. I have no personal motivation. When I get tired, I stop. And I never see results.

The solution? The YMCA has the best exercise classes! I never thought I'd be one of those women jumping and stepping and shaking in unison. Until I decided to suck it up and try once. Now I'm hooked. So, on Mondays and Wednesdays, I take a step class. Complete with 80s music on the same beat and teal steps:















On Tuesdays I take a Total Body class. In this class, we use balance balls (the big, giant balls that you sit on), hand weights and a mat. I love this class because I can already tell the toning and definition I'm gaining. And it KICKS MY BUTT.

On Thursdays and Sundays, I take my veryfavorite class, Zumba (pronounced ZOOM-BAH)...

Here's the description from Zumba.com:

"Zumba® fuses hypnotic latin rhythms and easy to follow moves to create a dynamic fitness program that will blow you away. Our goal is simple: We want you to want to work out, to love working out, to get hooked. Zumba® Fanatics achieve long term benefits while experiencing an absolute blast in one exhilarating hour of caloric-burning, body-energizing, awe-inspiring movements meant to engage and captivate for life!"

I wasn't planning on taking this class, because it starts at 7 pm, and I thought that was a little late. But one day after doing my own, feeble workout, I decided to stay and give it a try. I'm officially addicted. Literally, my body craves Zumba! It is so much fun, and it doesn't feel like a work out, until it's over and I'm sore!

Zumba.com is the official Zumba website, and you can look up places near you to try it out. From what I've heard from others in my class, my instructor is the best in the Knoxville area. I believe it!

I try to only weigh on Mondays (as I don't want to become obsessed with a number, I'd rather just look and feel good in my clothes), and I have had other plans for the past two Mondays, so I sadly can't give you pounds-lost update since I joined the Y a month ago. However, my clothes are fitting better (some are even looser!) and I'm down to the smallest notch on my belt.

That, my friends, is what I call progress.

What's your Operation Bridal Body?

-Amore'

No comments: