Sunday, August 10, 2008

It's all about you!

I am an Appalachian. This means I talk with an accent, live in the mountains, am proud of my place, and have traditions that are distinctly different from other cultures. . . . including wedding traditions.

I also come from a very small town. Where I come from there are not many "platinum weddings," but instead many are held in local churches with the receptions in the fellowship hall. This also means no alcohol at most weddings. We still participate in bouquet tosses. There are certainly not five star hotels or caterers to provide a luxurious spread, but weddings are unique and personal. I believe that the most important part of any wedding is that it fits your personality and culture.


My new wedding read agrees. I have been reading Somebody is Going to die if Lilly Beth doesn't catch that bouquet: The Official Southern Ladies' Guide to Hosting the Perfect Wedding. This book is not only hilarious in pointing out the uniqueness of southern weddings (including recipes for dishes such as sausage balls, which are a staple at many of the Appalachian weddings I have attended), but also very true. I promise many posts to come from questions raised from the book, but it also points out the importance of making your wedding personal:

"We think the best advice for a successful wedding is: Be yourself. A wedding offers an opportunity to be somebody you aren't. This is a temptation to be (for the most part) resisted. If you can afford a big blowout, by all means, do it. But if you can't afford a band from Memphis, a small wedding reception in the living room with mints and nuts is just as lovely. . . A good rule of thumb: Don't spend more time planning the wedding than the marriage is expected to last."


Amore and I recently attended/participated in a wedding of our dear friend, L (formerly "our bachelorette"). Her wedding was wildly personal and I loved it! She and her husband did the two-step for their first dance to a mountain song: "I love you just the way you are." As an avid hunter the groom's cake (made by his grandmother) had a deer on it and the groom also hit a few golf balls during a break in the reception. The bride, who celebrated her bachelorette part at the Carter Family Fold, insisted that guests flat foot. The decor included rocks from a local river in the flower arrangements. The celebration was classy and personal--exactly what a wedding should be.


How will you make your day personal?



--Love

No comments: