Friday, July 25, 2008

Tragic Gifts, Gracious Brides

While in Bluefield, VA for the bachelorette party of a friend (more on that in a later post) I received my first wedding gift! I was so excited when the bride-to-be plopped a great looking package down on my lap in her living room. This was the first time I'd seen her since my engagement, and though we were there to celebrate her impending nuptials, I was thrilled to get a gift myself!



image source

So, as any good bride would do, I ripped into my fabulous package. What I found there...I wasn't quite expecting. It was a green box with the words "Faerie Glen" scribed on it. Now, the bachelorette is not much of a fairy girl, much less a fAErie girl, and neither am I. So I was a bit surprised. Thinking perhaps this was just a repurposed box, I proceeded to open it. As I did so, the bachelorette and her mother both burst out laughing and proceeded to tell me that this was a gift she had received at a shower the previous weekend. Luckily for her, the gift-giver was not at the shower. The bride and groom (it was a couple's shower) burst out laughing (and tears, in the groom's case) at the sight of this gift:


image source


Somewhere out there a bride collects these faerie statues. I am not such a bride. It turns out, this gift was a test to see how I would handle receiving an unfortunate gift at a shower. I smiled and said, "Thank you, it's LOVELY!"

Evidently that was enough to pass the test.

What has been your most unfortunate wedding gift?

-Amoré

No comments: