Friday, July 25, 2008

Rules of Engagement



Love's rules for engagement:
Disclaimer: These are simply my rules for engagement and are certainly not universal.


  • The engagement cannot come on my birthday, holiday, our anniversary. It cannot replace a gift that would be otherwise purchased.

I wear a crown on my birthday. That day is already special and so are holidays. I don't want my engagement to be on a day that is already special. For me, holiday engagements are predictable. Both of my best friends got engaged over Christmas and it was wonderful for them, but it's not for me.


  • No proposal over the Jumbo Tron, on the Today show, on any 50-yard line, pitcher's mound, or center court.

I can be a very out there with my feelings and a very "public person," but I don't want my proposal to come in front of thousands of others. There's something very personal about asking to spend the rest of your life with someone that I think could be very different if that request came with thousands looking on.


  • I must be in an English speaking country, close to a phone, or friends and family to immediately share my exciting news!

I know I just said that I didn't want to be in front of a lot of people, but I also don't want to be on a deserted island and unable to share my good news. I am a bridesmaid in August for a couple who got engaged in front of the Eiffel tower (I promise to tell their story soon). As romantic as their story is it's not for me. As an English only speaking woman I can't imagine roaming the streets of Paris simply pointing to my finger unable to relay my excitement in French to those around or be near my friends and family to show off my new bling. I want my moment to be personal, but I also want to be able to share my news!

  • The proposal must come on one knee.

Call me old fashioned, but I've dreamt of the moment when my future husband will get one one knee, take my hand, and request that I spend the rest of my life with him. It's on my list.

These are my rules for engagement. What are yours?

The face of being engaged is changing. It's a legal promise now: Jilted bride calls $150,000 jury award ‘justice’

--Love

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you have some good ones yet again some bad ones two